Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-42829B not recognising synology NAS

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
frmello
Explorer

Bravia KDL-42829B not recognising synology NAS

Hi,

I have a Synology NAS 213j Diskstation running media server and connected to my home network. The TV is internet connected (iplayer works fine, Netflix also, etc.) but the TV will not recognise the Media Server. On the other hand the Synology software recognises that the Bravia TV - it appears automatically in the media server dropdown menu. I've checked firewall settings, etc, etc. and all appears to be in order. Any suggestions what to try next?

thanks in advance,

Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
frmello
Explorer

Thanks to Quinnicus and Tim for the proposed solutions. I have now found
the problem and (as usual!) it's my own stupid fault. I simply wanted to
test the system on audio files only, for reasons I won't bore everyone
with. Consequently I only installed the audio station, not realising that I
also needed to install the full media server package.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

best regards,

Fred

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Try installing the Serviio Software package on the Synology itself.  Instructions : HERE

Is uPnP enabled in your routers settings?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
frmello
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. uPnP is definitely enabled on my router. I'll
try the Serviio software when I have time to do the installation.

best regards,

Fred
TimCurtis

No need for Serviio at all.

I've the same TV & a Synology DS212J & DS214Play & both work fine with no problems whatsoever using the Synology Media Server.

Firstly what DSM version are you running?

I'm on DSM 5 & the profile I use is Sony Bravia -1 which is the correct one. On DSM 4 I think it's just Sony Barvia.

When you go into Media Server on the DS & DMA Compatibility have you got the restrict access box checked? If so uncheck it for now. Then in the device list is the box for the Sony checked & have you saved the settings?

Are you using fixed IP addresses for your devices (highly recommended) either assigned by the router using DHCP or fixed by the TV? I ask as I'm not sure how the DS matches to the device list , could be either by IP address or MAC address.

When I connected my TV to the network both Synology boxes picked it up straightaway so there really shouldn't be much of a problem.

profile.country.GB.title
frmello
Explorer

Thanks to Quinnicus and Tim for the proposed solutions. I have now found
the problem and (as usual!) it's my own stupid fault. I simply wanted to
test the system on audio files only, for reasons I won't bore everyone
with. Consequently I only installed the audio station, not realising that I
also needed to install the full media server package.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

best regards,

Fred
TimCurtis

Well nothing to say really :rolling_eyes: except glad it's now sorted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the update and also a thanks to TimCurtis for jumping in.  Don't have a synology, so I can really only guess :slight_smile:

Hogwashy
Explorer

Hi All,

A year and a half later and I have the same problem reported here, with a Synology DS214play (bought specifically to stream to my TV) and a Sony Bravia KD-55X8505B (less than a year old).  Unfortunately I have ruled out all of the suggested issues.  Media Server (under DSM 5.2) can see the TV no problem and I have seleted "Sony BRAVIA - 1" as the profile (having tried the other two Sony profiles also).  However, there is no evidence of the NAS at the TV.  That said, I'm not entirely sure where the NAS should appear on the TV, but I've been through every configuration item on the TV at least 5 times!  I presume I should be selecting the "Media Server" option along the top of the "Home" menu, but that just returns the error "available when device is connected" (and I stress the TV is happlily on the network and able to stream from the Internet).  Under the "Movies" tab, I see a "Media Player" icon at the bottom, but when I select this, it just connects me to a "Sample" player with built in sample photos and no other option is available.  No firewall rules are running on the NAS or on my router.

Please help as I'm at the end of my tether and appear to have wasted rather a lot of money!

Thanks in advance.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you have installed and configured in the correct way th package Media Server you should see the NAS on the TV (not the opposit, the NAS is the Server) in the list of the devices available along with HDMI and AV inputs.

Be sure you don't have any firewall in the NAS that may prevent using th ports needed by the DLNA protocol.

In order to make it works better I also suggest to use fixed IP (not DHCP) for both NAS and Television.

One check that you may try is to install serviio on a PC, connect the NAS to the PC and share the library via Serviio: just to see how it should work....

Hogwashy
Explorer

Happy New Year all!

Thanks Rooobb for your response.  I'm actually well aware that the NAS is the media server 🙂  Not sure what I said that suggested otherwise.  I just wasn't sure what option was needed on the TV to show it, given that nothing worked (note, all fine on tablets and phones).  However, I have an update!  Out of the blue, three days after I wrote the previous post, the NAS suddenly became selectable as a media server on the Sony TV and also on a Sumsung smart TV in another room.  I then had a happy couple of hours surfing photos on both TVs.  There were a few issues, such as neither TVs showing any of the videos in the photo or video directory of the NAS, regardless of media type selection at the Sony (the Samsung doesn't have any option and is supposed to display everything).  Also, the Sony didn't display thumbnail images of photos, which made navigation difficult, while the Samsung displayed them fine.

Unfortunately, however, the next time I tried to access the NAS from the TVs, the Samsung didn't see it at all and the Sony remained in the "connecting to server, please wait. .." screen indefinitely.  This is how the situation has remained ever since, sigh.  I'll get onto Synology and ask them why their 214play is incompatible with two of the most popular TVs on the market.