Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
crookie74
Visitor

The article says "effectively sticking two fingers up at YouView" but at least YouView have got their system out which give users itv player and 4OD. Also as HDSMARTTV123 pointed out, Samsung have now got ITV Player out. Sony are falling behind the competition and are treating customers with little respect with giving little/no information as to when they will be able to deliver something. Early on during this discussion you were trying to point the finger at ITV and C4 for your Sony's failure to deliver anything, citing licence issues which were hard to believe given you were able to agree something on the Playstation. Now you are trying to tell us that Sony want a different platform, which tells us that the orginal excuse, was simply that, just an excuse.

YouView may be quite behind on their original target delivery date, but they have still beat Sony!

Batfinkk

So where can I actually buy a Youview box from? You do realise that Youview is part owned by Channel 4 and ITV which would explain why their services are on there.

Have licensing issues ever been the problem, I'm nnot sure thats ever been cited, my understanding is that it was simply a technology limitations ( as has happened with Netflix and BBC Sport back compatibility)  and broadcasters not wanting to build multiple services for multiple vendors as is the case in most European markets.

crookie74
Visitor

They are in the shops ready and waiting for the launch on Thursday

http://www.johnlewis.com/231674495/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=youview

Yes I do realise that C4 and ITV were partners in Youview. However it makes sense for both of these broadcasters to want their programs in every house possible. They can then generate more money through advertising as you are unable to skip adverts.

Licence issue were implied early on in this thread. Catmambo wrote on the 28-Feb-2011 "As I think I mentioned, commerical confidentiality restricts what we can and can't say in advance of any announcements, but rest assured, we'll make sure this thread is updated as soon as we have any news.

Sorry we cant be more specific at the moment but as Lee mentioned above, we want to launch them as soon as we are in a position to." That is hardly saying there were technology limitations. It leads us to believe that they (Sony and ITV/C4) need to come to an agreement

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Crookie74

I wasn't referring to licensing issues in the above, simply that we obviously can't post on public forums where we are with our discussions. Licensing is down to the aggregator not Sony as its their service, not ours.

Politically they had to deliver it to Youview despite the platform having a zero sum install base. If it wasn't backed by the broadcasters, there is no way brodcaster catchup services would have gone on there from launch  as it would have just been another box like the old Fetch TV devices which struggled to also get broadcast partners. What I will say is that broadcasters do indeed want as many eyeballs as possible for their service, but they have very limited resources and supporting multiple platforms & standards for multiple vendors is very expensive, mindful of the present market wide install base of smart TV is growing, but not at a tipping point when compared to other platforms such as Sky, Virgin or Games consoles making monitisation trickier.

Thanks

Xmantium
Visitor

Guys there has been a solution for ALL Sony Bravia TVs and Sony BluRay for nearly a year now to watch ITVPlayer and 4oD using Serviio

1. Download and install the free Serviio Media Server on your PC/MAC or Linux NAS Server

2. Download the plugins from the Serviio Forums and place them in the "plugins" folder in program location

Get ITVPlayer plugin from here

Get 4oD plugin from here

3. Sit back and enjoy! You can even add new content on your Android phone using ServiiDroid

drhowells
New

Whilst this does work, it is not the ideal solution for everyone. My dad can work iPlayer on the TV, but if I asked him to install a media server on his computer, install some plugins and then stream the content to the TV, he would look at me with a blank look. It also assumes the computer is in easy access of the TV. It is not the same as having the players on the TV.

iagibso49

What a confusing load of rubbish. This is no substitute for the seamless online TV which Sony promised us. The haphazard, geek-centric forum doesn't help.

I've downloaded this thing. I've installed the plug-ins.

I go to online resources and add http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=323426

Nothing shows up when I try to play it on my TV. I've tried adding it as both a live stream and web resource. Neither work.

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Message edited by moderator

sony-cat

This is not a workable solution, this is using your PC to do something that your TV should be doing.  Sure you can get the programs on your TV this way, but you are having to use a computer to do it.  I do not want to use my PC to get this content, I use my PC for work not for video.  This is no better than using my PS3 to do the job.  However I do not want to have my PS3 turned on just to watch a few programs either,  it's power hungry so why should I?  It crashes every other time I use it, it runs out of memory and freezes with various error messages. TV on demand is the job of my smart TV, not my PC or my games console.

I want to know if or when when 4OD and ITV will be coming to Bravia.  Starting to regret relying on Sony for all of my TV needs.

Message was edited by: sony-cat

buseng
New

I've seen on another forum that Samsung smart tv's have ITV Player installed. So it must work on this platform despite copywrite issues etc. So is there any  reason why Sony Bravias can't have it?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1732472

ferfgs
Visitor

Sony should have ITV Player and 4OD on the Bravia by now.  If BBC and Channel 5 can do it, don't tell me it's different or harder for the other two.

If Playstation can have it, why can't TV - these channels would get more viewers on internet TVs than games consoles.

Sony's spiel on their website for internet TVs says that you can access your favourite TV channels - well that's just not true is it.  You can get 2. I'm not counting Eurosport because it's not full action.

Of all the (polite word) stuff they claim to be continually adding, let's face it there's only 3 or 4 things you'd ever really want to use.

Think they've dug themselves into a hole based on their own lies and are just faffing around trying to deflect people's attention from it.

Wonder what the sales assistant would say if anyone walked into a Sony store and asked if/when ITV and 4OD are/will be available on Sony's internet TVs.