Join now - be part of our community!

How to get 5.1 Sound from the FZ21Z???

wigwam12
Visitor

How to get 5.1 Sound from the FZ21Z???

Okay I am stumped.
I finally got my HDMI connection working for video and sound to my Plasma TV
I note the Sigma HDMI driver supports DTS and DD but what use is this at all when the HDMI audio is only stereo and there is no optical out?

Is there any way I can connect the laptop to my amp to enjoy proper 5.1 sound when watching DVD, especially BLuRay movies?

For example, any way to set the stereo/headphone output to optical?

Help Appreciated. :slight_frown:

14 REPLIES 14
carloscerros
Visitor

...  Yes really crazy! A media laptop with blu-ray and all those bastards at sony don t even put a SPDIF (digital output) on the computer. How can it be possible? 
Only sound out is the headphone ! Great sound!! ...

Hi klius,

All VGN-AR models comes with digital output ...

KR

_Tone_
Visitor

Hi Guys

On page 167 of my manual it states that DD and DTS can be routed voa HDMI to an amp - which is something I can do via the sigma driver software.
Are you saying you dont have an amp with HDMI or that the laptop is incaable of outputting the audio streams?

I believe you will need a better software player in order to decode the HD sound formats though.

Hoping this helps.

Tone

marcoda
Visitor

Hi

I also cannot believe that a laptop advertised with Blu-ray is not capable of outputting full 8 channel sound through HDMI.

However, it seems that this is the case. If Sony had made this fact clear, then I (and probably others) would have spent my money on a cheaper laptop and bought a dedicated blu-ray player - a much better solution.

I did realise that there was no Toslink but thought (foolishly, I know) that the HDMI output and 'HD' sound (as Sony puts it!) would be adequate. This is my first and last Vaio!

I have bought this as a cheap solution but I can still only get stereo output via the SPDIF connection to my surround sound system. I can't seem to get Dolby Digital DTS.

If anyone has any other ideas then please share them.

profile.country.GB.title
davina1511
New

Hi, how did you manage to get any sound, I connected to Bravia TV via HDMI cable. I have a picture but no sound at all. Help would be appreciated

wigwam12
Visitor

Hi, how did you manage to get any sound, I connected to Bravia TV via HDMI cable. I have a picture but no sound at all. Help would be appreciated

I found this and also found a solution which I posted in another thread.
Basically ensure that the TV is switched off when you connect the HDMI between the laptop and tv [one end is always connected to the tv on mine but it still works if I switch it off when I connect the other end to the laptop]
when all connected up and laptop turned on I switch on TV and it works.

As for the connections yep only stereo out via HDMI
I connect the laptop the creative external 5.1 card via usb which goes to amp via toslink. works and I get 5.1 sound