Join now - be part of our community!

Model VGN-FZ21Z Problem Microsoft updates

profile.country.en_GB.title
fraheato
Explorer

Model VGN-FZ21Z Problem Microsoft updates

I wonder whether anyone can help.

I recently purchased the above laptop and have done all the Microsoft updates. However, Office 2007 SP1 keeps failing to install, received Error code 78F. There was 2 months Office programme on the PC, but as I had my own copy of Office Ultimate 2007 I installed this, in order to stop all the Microsoft requests to key in the registation key number.

The programme works fine but I am unable to complete the MS updates.

Can anyone please advise what they recommend I do to complete update history.

11 REPLIES 11
carloscerros
Visitor

Hi blue10,

This seems tobe an unknown issue @ Microsoft BUT this is the solution I've found out in another forum:

Place a DVD movie and play it while downloading the SP1 dirctely from the Microsoft sight to your desktop
and it installs it passing the error message. It seems to install succesfully.

This is the forum:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=874746

Good luck

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Blue10,

if carloscerros solution doesn't work, then try running the Office Diagnostics, this can be found in Word, click the MS Office Button, then click Word Options followed by Resources.
In the new window click Diagnose, then Continue, and finally click Start Diagnostics.

If you're still unable to install Office SP1 then try running the detect and repair tool, this can be found in Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft Office 2007, and then click Change

If still no luck, then I would suggest you uninstall Office, restart your vaio and reinstall ofice again.. :slight_frown:

fraheato
Explorer

Thanks everyone for your help, very much appreciated.

I'll try the options later and let you know how I get on.

I really appreciate your help, thank you

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome, hope they help.. :four_leaf_clover:

fraheato
Explorer

Just an update. No success so far. Have tried the diagnostics, then tried to update again, with Office disc in DVD drive and turned off AVG anti-virus. Unfortunately the update still refuses to install. Tomorrow I will try installing again with a DVD movie playing. We'll see what happens.

Thanks once again.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Blue10,

Did you uninstall the MS Office trial before you installed your own copy of Office, If not then I would suggest you uninstall Office, restart your vaio and reinstall office again..

fraheato
Explorer

Hello again.

No, I hadn't uninstalled the 'Office' trial before installing my own copy of Office 2007. I had wondered about this at the time. Update so far - no success. Have tried doing the update with the Office DVD in the DVD drive, have done the diagnostics, no problems found. Also went to Control Panel to repair Office 2007.

Earlier today I tried a Tom Cruise DVD playing in the DVD drive before trying the SP1 update again. I thought Tom might have sorted it, but the DVD was 'Mission Impossible', which seems to sum up my success!

The next stage seems to be to uninstall Office 2007 but before I do, to uninstall the trial copy. I must admit to being a bit reluctant to do this, mainly in case Microsoft doesn't accept my key registration numbers again, due to having been installed only a short time on my PC.

Is that what you would try next? Any advice much appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The next stage seems to be to uninstall Office 2007 but before I do, to uninstall the trial copy. I must admit to being a bit reluctant to do this, mainly in case Microsoft doesn't accept my key registration numbers again, due to having been installed only a short time on my PC.

I have installed Office a couple of times on my Vaio and haven't had a problems entering the the Office serial number again..

fraheato
Explorer

Thanks Thalamus, going to try this tomorrow and run the update again.