Join now - be part of our community!

Screen has a grey "curtain" across it

profile.country.en_GB.title
nigethequiz
Visitor

Screen has a grey "curtain" across it

My VPCJ12MOE (running windows 7) all-in-one has a screen that is veiled in grey making the screen just about unreadable. There is a small band, about 1/8th of an inch deep across the top of the screen that looks oh but unfortunately does not appear to be expandable. I have tried in vain to change the screen setting but cannot as the instructions are unreadable. The wireless mouse also appears not to be working, or maybe I can't see it either. Any suggestions??

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi nigethequiz and welcome.

Does this 'curtain' appear when you first turn the Vaio on - when you first see the Vaio Logo and before Windows loads? If yes, then it is likely to be a hardware fault with the screen itself.

Try booting into Safe Mode by pressing F8 continuously during startup - or try entering the BIOS by pressing F2 repeatedly when you see the Vaio Logo. If Safe Mode works OK then it could be a problem with the Windows Driver and reinstalling this may help but if the problem persists in Safe Mode, you will need to get a repairer to look at your Vaio. It could be a faulty screen or a poor screen connection.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
nigethequiz
Visitor

Ho Blencogo,

Thanks for the welcome and the tip. Have downloaded the original graphics dtriver and the updated one so will give them ago if safe mode is ok. Thanks again will let you know.