Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading RAM in FZ21z - warranty void?

wigwam12
Visitor

Upgrading RAM in FZ21z - warranty void?

My FZ21z comes with a respectable 2gb but laptop mem prices are cheap and I would like to, if possible, upgrade to 4gb to make Vista more responsive.
I have upgraded my warranty to 3 years though so would not do this if it voided the warranty.
Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
I note on the techincal help page it asks if extra memory has been added so thought that might imply it is okay?

9 REPLIES 9
carloscerros
Visitor

Hi wigwam12,

You can buy RAM @ VAIO hotline.
Warranty seems not to be void if you don't damage your inbuilt memory & new RAM added.
Keep in mind you will need 2 modules of 2Gb of RAM to upgrade to 4Gb because there are 2 modules of 1Gb inside by default.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Wigwam,

The Technical Specifications state your Vaio’s Ram is upgradable to 4096 MB, however the 32 bit version of Vista can only handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM and will therefore only show approximately 3.2GB..

The reason that the maximum 4GB of RAM is not shown is due to Vista allocating RAM to devices such as graphics cards etc..

However if you install matching 2GB memory modules your Vaio will benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel support.. :wink:

A large number of Club Vaio members have bought extra RAM from crucial.com also an added benefit from buying from Crucial is their memory compatibility guarantee. To visit Crucial.com use this link: Crucial.com

If you need a guide on how to upgrade the RAM on your Vaio, then click the following link: How do upgrade my Vaio's memory ?

Regarding the issue of warranty, if you need to make a claim you could always replace your original RAM.. :wink:

wigwam12
Visitor

Many thanks for the fast replies.
I agree I shall look to Crucial.
Vaio also replied:
Thank you for contacting us.
RAM upgrade will not affect Warranty for your VAIO if you do not damage it during the process.

And they gave the link how to do it.
I have asked them to clarify if I need to keep the dimms I have or if I can flog them [not that they will fetch much in the current market but it will help to know if i need to mess about changing them back if ever a repair is needed.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile:

_Tone_
Visitor

Hi Guys

Having read this thread - I am now thinking of sticking 4GB of ram into my FZ21M. At £61 and £86 (for 800mhz) its silly not to - and it will raise my "Experience Score" as memory on my system is the lowest.

The "how to install memory says I should use DDR2 667MHZ RAM, The crucial web page has 667 and 800 MHZ.

Is there any benefit on installing the 800MHZ RAM or would I be wasting the money?

Thanks

Tone

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Tone,

I would stick with the Crucial's recommended 4GB DDR2-667mhz PC2-5300 Kit.. :wink:

Don't forget you will only have around 3.5GB of RAM due to the Vista 32bit 4GB of RAM maximum..

wigwam12
Visitor

"Your VAIO Warranty applies to original ( OEM ) parts. No part - no warranty on it. it is utterly up to your decision whether to leave the original RAM or to sell it. "

Slightly contradictory reply here. I guess it means I have to put it back in before warranty.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I guess it means I have to put it back in before warranty.

I would hang onto them if I were you..

wigwam12
Visitor

Hi Tone,

I would stick with the Crucial's recommended 4GB DDR2-667mhz PC2-5300 Kit.. :wink:

Don't forget you will only have around 3.5GB of RAM due to the Vista 32bit 4GB of RAM maximum..

Thing is though, the processor is one with a 800MHz side bus so if upgrading why not go the whole hog and match cpu and RAM speed for even more speed boost?