Join now - be part of our community!

New ZX2 announced at CES

SOLVED
c.simon

New ZX2 announced at CES

...as an upgraded version of the NWZ-ZX1. But with a less-premium, even toy look, the upgrade of Android from 4.1 to 4.2, no increase in onboard memory but the addition of a 128GB card slot, is it really worth twice the price of the ZX1 (at least, in the UK - the web site is today quoting £949), when actually the ZX1 needed extra memory, upgrade to the at least Android 4.4, but also a price cut?

£949 is an absolute joke. I'd pay £200-£300 for this device, but it's incredibly overpriced and outdated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @c.simon 

None of your comments come across as a rant.  I think you have many valid points there.  What I have done though is, I have passed your comments and a link to this thread to a department in Sony as something called "Voice of the Customer"

Hopefully they will take on board your comments.  What I personally would like to see, is a product that is more affordable, but not compromising of build/audio quality.

It is true however, if you have lossless flac/high res audio, you dont want to be listening to them on el'cheapo (read 'low quality') headphones either as you will not do the device or the audio tracks any justice :wink:

Cheers

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes unfortunately I have to agree, £949 is quite high.  However as a customer, you have the power to vote with your wallet.  Obviosly Sony is targeting another market that the likes of your or me and fortunately there are devices on the market that would suit.  Many are happy with MP3's from their mobile phone, however for the audiophile on the move (with deep pockets), this might be the device that suits them.

Cheers

c.simon

Unfortunately, I have already voted with my wallet and they didn't listen, lol! The ZX1 has always been overpriced in my opinon (slapping an audiophile label on it is meaningless, unless there are indeed people who will pay £500 for an audio cable...or maybe this is what Sony are relying on as these people went for the ZX1...) so I didn't buy it. It looks fabulous, but the screen is average has an outdated version of Android, and has far too little memory for a "serious" product. 128GB won't even hold my collection in lossless (FLAC) never mind HD - I'd have to put it all on as MP3, which sort of defeats the purpose of this so-called audiophile device. So I've waited almost 2 years for an improved and cheaper model...

And like I say, what we've got is an inferior-looking case and buttons (in my opinion), a slightly-less outdated version of Android (2 years old, instead of 3...), and the same amount of woeful memory. Yes, there's a card slot, which is welcome, but this doesn't justify a doubling of price over a product that was overpriced to begin with, and of course the card itself is not included. I don't know if there are any improvements to the audio hardware, but I can't see how they can have improved the audio to *that* extent to make it that expensive. The screen hasn't improved at all either.

It's basically a 3-year old Android phone, without the phone bit, in a better case and better audio (phones are catching up on memory now). But it's not worth £1000 and I'm voting with my wallet again! But they will find it very hard to back down now and bring this product line down to below £500, so I think I'm going to have to give up on Sony now and look for something better.  It's not unreasonable to want to be able to take your entire collection in lossless with you - it's just that there has been nothing available so far that can do lossless and has enough memory and sounds decent. They had a good product here as there was indeed nothing else that had all three, but have priced it out of the reach of the people who want to do it.  The "audiophile on the move" is surely a very limited target market, they'd sell much more by making it cheaper.

c.simon

Review from t3.com (based on estimated UK price of £793 - not the £949 that Sony is selling it for at the moment!):

"We love it when Sony acts a little crazy and throws caution to the wind. Occasionally some great products emerge. But the Walkman NW-ZX2's high price might be just a little bit too far."  (They think that even £800 is too expensive)

Review from trustedreviews.com (based on estimated price of £900):

"The design from the front kind of reminds me of the black Nokia Lumia 900 phones from a few year ago"

"There's a 4-inch FWVGA 480x854 resolution display so it's far away from the Full HD displays on high end smartphones."

"As a Walkman, the NWZ-ZX2 is not at all sleek or portable as your typical pocket-friendly player"

"If Sony made it cheaper, I think it could be a real winner but I don't think there's any chance of that happening in the very near future."

They all say sound quality is fantastic though!

Interesting also that the review says it runs Android 4.4.2, which is contrary to an initial press article, so at least that's a more up-to-date version of Android.

Anyway, I rest my case that the design is a backwards step from the ZX1 and there are not enough improvements to justify doubling the price, in fact I would have expected a price cut from the ZX1 level, or at least for the ZX2 come in at the ZX1's price and then the ZX1 receives a cut.

I have also found out that the ZX1 music app doesn't organise albums by the Album Artist tag (it uses the Track Artist tag instead -which would be fine for listing tracks...), so I assume the ZX2 is the same which is disappointing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the updates :slight_smile:

Our of curiosity, what would you like to see in a Walkman and for what type of price range.  Try and reflect the price range to the features?

Cheers

c.simon

Personally...

1. Above all, "decent" sound hardware and enough memory (or expansion) to hold my music collection in lossless.

2. Easy-to-use interface - this probably dictates a touch-screen and a music app that indexes your collection intelligently, usefully and comprehensively.

3, Comprehensive output options, i.e. headphone out, line out, digital out, bluetooth aptx.

3. Android-based and GPS are a huge plus but not a necessity - this would open up the complete world of apps and, in particular, allow the unit to be used as a satnav in the car as well as music player.

4. The step up from "decent" audio to "audiophile" is again a huge plus but not a necessity.

5. At a superficial level, a premium case (like the ZX1), but again not essential if everything else was perfect.

The F886 looked *almost* feasible, it has hi-res audio capabilities like the ZX1, but with 32GB which is not expandable it's not worth the asking price for the hassle of choosing which 15% of my music collection I'd like to be limited to today, and then downloading it.  (I have around 160GB of music currently in FLAC format, which I don't think is particularly large for a reasonable music collection, and I haven't even digitised my vinyl yet!)

I was very attracted to the ZX1, it looks gorgeous.  But at £549 it started to look way too expensive given I'd still have to store my collection on it in MP3.  I thought it quite odd that Sony would advertise it so heavily for playing hi-res music when you'd have to save it as MP3 if you want it to hold a reasonable chunk of your collection. And of course, your collection will only grow as hi-res becomes more common.  I wrote to Sony actually, giving my misgivings, I've been waiting almost 2 years for a new, improved version, lol!

I also have a bee-in-my-bonnet about browsing structures in music apps.  It's very difficult to find an app, whether iOS or Android, that doesn't completely mangle your neatly and meticulously catalogued and tagged music collection. The difference between Track Artist and Album Artist is one of the most fundamental things that they get wrong.  And going into a Genres menu, choosing Blues for example, and being presented with a list of a couple of thousand tracks is absolutely useless.  Cataloguing, browsing and searching is as much a part of the audiophile and music enthusiast experience as sound quality is.  But this is all software, it should be really easy for companies to listen to suggestions and make continuous improvements to hardware that people have already bought but they rarely do in the case of ease-of-use of music apps.

Anyway, none of this (apart from the audiophile hardware) is nothing that you wouldn't already expect in middle of the range Android phones, even cheaper ones, and they have the advantage of being used as phones as well!

I think probably the biggest sticking point so far with any device has been the limited memory.  The ZX2 does appear to be standing out in that field at the moment, because it has a decent internal memory and also an expandable slot that can also take a decent amount of memory.  I would expect to pay between £300 and £400 for a reasonable Android device with enough memory. If the ZX1 had been improved to the level of 128GB expandable memory, a more recent version of Android and a better screen then I'd probably stretch to the £549 that the old model was, or I'd buy the F886 if it too had the better memory.  Just compare this with the prices of Android phones and iPhones.

I really, really don't think I'm being unrealistic.  Maybe the audiophile components of the ZX2 do raise it to a higher level that I don't actually need and am not willing to pay for, however there is nothing below it that has the memory.  I was also particularly disturbed when a reviewer of the ZX1 on Amazon (who was obviously an audiophile) gave it 5 stars but also said it's a waste of money unless you use a pair of expensive high-end headphones with it. In other words, unless you do already have expensive headphones, you are not likely to hear any improvement over any other MP3 player.

Sorry for the rants, lol!  I just felt very very disappointed and deflated after lusting after the ZX1 for so long but realising that it's not going to be practical because of the memory limit, and then finding the replacement is £1000, putting it into realms that even I can't justify spending on a gadget.

c.simon

PS. When I said about comparing it with the prices of Android and iPhones, remember that Apple is widely recognised as having inflated prices, due to the brand itself and also the arguably premium finishing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @c.simon 

None of your comments come across as a rant.  I think you have many valid points there.  What I have done though is, I have passed your comments and a link to this thread to a department in Sony as something called "Voice of the Customer"

Hopefully they will take on board your comments.  What I personally would like to see, is a product that is more affordable, but not compromising of build/audio quality.

It is true however, if you have lossless flac/high res audio, you dont want to be listening to them on el'cheapo (read 'low quality') headphones either as you will not do the device or the audio tracks any justice :wink:

Cheers

c.simon

It's also worth reading the ZX1 review from What Hifi a year ago (www.whathifi.com/sony/nwz-zx1/review), where the conclusion was basically "excellent but pricey", prasising the audio quality, design and buttons, but criticising the price, lack of memory and DSD support, and mediocre screen.  So they added memory and DSD, didn't do anything about the screen, changed the design, then doubled the price!  The ZX1 only got 4 stars though and they gave the iPod Touch 5 stars, even mentioning that was pricey.

Then the comments on the ZX2 announcement at www.whathifi.com/news/sony-nwz-zx2-high-res-walkman-adds-sd-card-and-dsd-support where many people are saying the price is prohibitive.

c.simon

Crikey, OK, lol!  Thank you.