Join now - be part of our community!

10.5.A.0.230 - Laggy & horrible!

SOLVED
chinny
Visitor

10.5.A.0.230 - Laggy & horrible!

Sony,

I know you've not said that the Xperia Tablet Z will be getting Android L, you haven't said that it will be either. But something has to be done about this totally horrific experience. Since installing 10.5.A.0.230, it is like I've just gone out and bought a £50 Android tablet with cheap, slow components. It is absolutely terrible, up until now I wasn't going to flash Cyanogen etc., but it is so shocking, I think it's going to be the only way to have it performing nicely.
AAre you going to do anything about this? Do you test the software you build prior to release? I've Googled this, and I'm not the only person reporting this, in fact I'm probably the only one that's not utterly stunned by the poor performance.
The experience of Sony since having this has been pretty poor. Slow on the updates, poor bug fixes (or none at all - everyone still has the screen flicker!).
Anyone else want to add their views on the total Sony experience of late or any performance problems with the Tablet Z? I'd be interested on hearing it.
Cheers, Andrew.
40 REPLIES 40
chanchari
New

Hi,

I found a 4.1.2 firmware and flashed it via flashtool. Kids, I gotta say that maybe a dont have all the cool features of the lastest upgrades but now is incredibly fast and smooth... I'm going to prove its performance and let you know.

I'll give you some links where I donwload the files and the tutorial I followed for the noobest people Grinning_Face

Download: (SGP311) if it is not your version look for your firmware in xda developers

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2454128

tutorial is in spanish but with images (every knows some of spanish or least how to translate it google xD )

http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=717056#

C yaaaaa

Sovereign108
Visitor

I installed Nova Launcher Prime to replace the default Sony Xperia Tablet one and performance definitely improves! No lag. Still testing it day to day though.

chinny
Visitor

Hey guys,

Hadn't seen the last few comments apparently Sony stopped emailing me alerts to a thread that's tearing them to pieces!

Chanchari I would have rooted and installed CyanogenMod by now, unfortunately my laptop, previous tablet, every piece of tech I owned basically was stolen in November last year - and my insurance company wouldn't pay out. So I only have a company laptop at the moment which is fine for general browsing, but administration rights for installing Flashtool and ADB drivers etc - no chance.

So I'm stuck at the moment with a very poor performing tablet, (sgp321), I got the update in the week to 10.5.1.A.0.283, which has not resolved:
Lag
Screen flicker
Random screen touches
And I fear that these will forever remain unresolved - As another Tablet Z owner said to me on G+, we got the Beta tablet, the Tablet Z 2 has had none of these issues.

My next tablet, will be (hopefully) the rumoured HTC Nexus 8.9...If those rumours be true - that is going to be one **bleep** of a device.

Message to Sony: Your lack of support, bug fixes, and dare I say it knowledge on building a good version of Android, leaves a lot to be desired. I cannot wait, until the HTC or whatever the next Nexus tablet is, to hit the shelves - my Tablet Z will then take its rightful place in a drawer somewhere. Poor show Sony.
chinny
Visitor

I cannot believe, that the Sony forum just bleeped out the word that means the opposite of heaven, that really is incredible!

LOL Sony, you just made yourself look really daft.
birdxx
Visitor

The only thing that upgrade 4.4.4. did for me,  was making root even more difficult or even almost impossible to do.

It's obvious that every upgrade has mostly only benefits for Google itself. 

My battery is not any better,  and neither are most of the other problems. 

This tablet cost me more time  and gave me more splitting headaches,  than my iMac and Windows together! 

It's just a pain in the *ss! 

And with less chances to root,  why would i ever buy another new Andriod tablet? 

You can buy  a Nexus,  but you get the same lousy Android OS. 

Maybe i should totally go for CyanogenMod,  but that would take even more time to invest in this thing. 

It may be the only option that is open,  if you want your tablet back from the vultures! 

I don't understand why we all take this sh*t! 

chinny
Visitor

When you say "the same lousy android OS", what do you mean by that?  I only ask as, if you're a Tablet Z owner, surely one of the reasons you'd buy it is because you like the OS?

I agree with you when you say it's a pain in the 455, but that is (IMO) down to Sony crippling the OS.  Although the route Google have gone down with no longer supporting external memory expansion is frustrating - with LTE, there's no reason why most if not all of your media cannot be stored in the cloud.

I don't know why you say less chance to root, if you follow the right instructions then it's super-easy now, unlocking the bootloader is straightforward etc.  The alternative - Apple or Windows...I'll take Android all day long - just not Sony's mess of an experiment.  CM is still Android...

There's obviously got to be a compromise somewhere, but my biggest bugbear is Google crippling external storage - people whom purchased smaller internal memory devices with a view to using external SD, and it being taken away with an update - that goes against "Don't Be Evil"...

Still not as bad as the Sony experience though.  Sony win the award for terrible software hands down.

birdxx
Visitor

I didn't choose anything! 

I use a iMac and Windows desktop. 

Because of the closed ios,  and the small Windows appshop,  i had to take the Android OS. 

I had 4 tablets that were all lousy, and terrible to work with. 

All had terrible Android upgrades that made the tablet even worse. 

And they were not cheap,  or imported from dubious places. 

The Sony Z looked like it was a better buy,  although it was pretty expensive. 

What seemed like a nice working tablet,  changed into a nightmare. 

Bad mic and cam,  apps not working properly,  and all sorts of bugs appeared after first update. 

That's what happened after the first enthusiasm. 

With KitKat you are getting a iPad on Android. 

Crippling is done by Google and Sony. 

Google dictates,  and Sony is following with accommodating. 

kitkat 4.4.2 was still easy to root,  but 4.4.4. isn't. 

They changed the kernel,  to prevent the easy rooting. 

People try anything.(Sandbox) 

If there was a real good working OS for tablets,  i would change tomorrow. 

As long as Google controls Android,  it will be a pain in the *ss. 

No choice there,  and no compromising! 

We can only follow the Great Leader. 

chanchari
New

chinny! Don't need to root unless you really Want last android KK running fast in your tablet. What I did is just flashing the first Android 4.1.2 firmware (search for the .ftf on the Internet)

Now the tablet runs with no bugs, fast and smooth... Even the camera pictures are better. 

BTW, I bought the new secondhand Xperia z2 tablet and runs perfect in KK. No bugs, no lag, everything seems to work perfect. As someone mentioned before I think we were kind of cheated with Xperia tablet z because it is like a beta tablet. 

Greetings. Sorry for my spelling.

Pera73
Visitor

Yeaah, well this was a rather good tablet with the first/original ROM in. I think it became more laggy and buggy after every update ( the flickering screen 'feature' is the most annoying bug). What a shame.

I guess I 'll also try a cyanogenmod on this or the Sony's official Android 4.1.2 firmware if I can find a one.

Sony's new compact Z3 phone sounds a perfect for me because of the size and audio features (HD-audio) but I do not dare to buy it because eventually they are going to ruin it with a ridiculously bad firmware update.

Zedar
Visitor

I experienced same laggyness with 10.5.A.0.230, but with the latest software 10.5.A.1.283 I think its working better now. I see it most in the menu, its running fast and smooth.