Join now - be part of our community!

pointless sd card slot

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
magicmerlyn
New

pointless sd card slot

Cannot find any way of transferring apps to sd card why is this Not a feature!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I assume you mean the external SD card. I think this is a standard with all Android devices not just the Sony.

As for the SD card being pointless, I would disagree. You can put all your music, films, photos on the SD card and this will save space for apps on the internal storage

One thing though, have you tried app2SD from the play market. It moves apps to the internal SD card certainly, not sure about the external one

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I assume you mean the external SD card. I think this is a standard with all Android devices not just the Sony.

As for the SD card being pointless, I would disagree. You can put all your music, films, photos on the SD card and this will save space for apps on the internal storage

One thing though, have you tried app2SD from the play market. It moves apps to the internal SD card certainly, not sure about the external one

profile.country.nl_BE.title
degraaffn
Visitor

No, App 2 SD doesn't work on tablets. The option to move apps just doesn't exist on Tablets at all. Either Google removed it from Android, or Tablet manufacturers removed it because they want us to buy the disproportionally more expensive tablets with more memory. I mean, come on. The 32 Gb version is 100 € more expensive than the 16 Gb version. What does a 16 Gb SD card cost? 10 € maybe? They charge 10 times as much for an extra 16 Gb!

profile.country.en_GB.title
srg2712
New

On my new Xperia Tablet S, SGPT-122GB/S there is a "File Transfer" icon alreadt installed and this works.

Message was edited by: srg2712

degraaffn
Visitor

Yes, but you can't use that to move apps to your external memory.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

Apps can only be moved to external storage if the developer allows the app to be moved.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Zerokewl

Save pictures movies music etc to sd card and just use the main storage for apps if its an issue.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

app icons dont show anymore when moved to the internal sdcard1 even.

degraaffn
Visitor

And in this case, it's the developer of the OS that needs to allow it. Because of all the apps that are movable on my phone, none of the same apps can be moved on my tablet. Or any tablet of any brand. And it's the same on Android 4.1.

scorp888
New

That's simply not true. 

Whilst google did intiially remove the ability to move apps to sd cards, they realised how unpopular this would be, and changed it, so that if the app says it's happy to be moved, then it can be moved. Applications like app2sd explain this, and also explain for each app, what will and won't be changed as a result of the move. Things like alarm apps, that need boot level integration, don't benefit from being moved. Some apps like navigation ones, now moved their maps to an sd card.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=h...

for more information.