Join now - be part of our community!

USB Charging

SOLVED
MelissaT
Visitor

USB Charging

I have tried charging my Z tablet by plugging in the  USB to my PC instead of the charger.  Nothing happens, except all the options to transfer info betwen the PC and tablet.

Is the tablet suppose to be able to charge with the USB plugged into a PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wolfgang_Kemper
Visitor

Your standard USB2.0 port on your PC supplies only 0.5A.

That will not be enough to charge the battery while using the tablet.

The supplied charger does 1. 5A and still the tablet is charging quite slow.

I have got my hands on a Sony USB charger from Europe and it supplies 2A which improves the charging time.

I do not know why here in the US they have only shipped the lower rated charger.

Anyway, PC USB outlet is not good for charging and working at the same time.

Best case scenario is that the tablet just gets a tickle load.

Message was edited by: Wolfgang_Kemper

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
taifunk
Visitor

No. This is covered in manual

MelissaT
Visitor

Could you reference where you saw this covered. 

Here is a snip of what I see in the user manual about charging:

Charging the battery

Your battery is partly charged when you buy the device. It may take a few minutes

before the battery icon appears on the screen when you connect the charger

cable to a power source, such as a USB port or a charger. You can still use your

device while it is charging. Charging your device over a long period of time, for

example, overnight, does not damage the battery or the device.

To me that would mean a USB port on a PC or laptop.

Wolfgang_Kemper
Visitor

Your standard USB2.0 port on your PC supplies only 0.5A.

That will not be enough to charge the battery while using the tablet.

The supplied charger does 1. 5A and still the tablet is charging quite slow.

I have got my hands on a Sony USB charger from Europe and it supplies 2A which improves the charging time.

I do not know why here in the US they have only shipped the lower rated charger.

Anyway, PC USB outlet is not good for charging and working at the same time.

Best case scenario is that the tablet just gets a tickle load.

Message was edited by: Wolfgang_Kemper

MelissaT
Visitor

Thank you Wolfgang.  That was great information, and explained why it would not work.  I have ordered a rapid charger from Amazon.  I am hoping it charges faster than the one that came with the tablet.  If not, I need a 2nd charger for work anyway.

triplec76
Visitor

Does anyone know the charging limitation of this tablet? Monoprice.com has some chargers that go up to 4A or 4,000mA. The default Sony charger is 1,500mA as stated.

The chargers are listed as Apple compatible, but you could plug in any microUSB cable as long as it wouldn't harm the tablet. There are also 2,000mA chargers available.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10851&cs_id=1085102

Wolfgang_Kemper
Visitor

Hi,

ITried out diffrent charger,Sony,Amazon,Apple and no names.

DO not worry about the current rating, you can not do any harm.

PAy attention on not to get to cheap chargers. If they give a clean 5V then that is ok.

'The Tablet is regulating how much current it takes to charge the battery.

If there would be one thing I really wantSony to change/upgrade than that is thecharging behaviour.

I sat the other day in a day long meeting and hat heavy use for the tablet.

All the power hoogs on( bluetooth,wifi,heavy load on thecpu)

I was not able to get the tablet charged in 8 h.

It was barely keeping up with the power drain.

I ended the meeting with 50% when i started charging 8h before with 30%

I believe the little charging happenedduring the meeting breaks.

My iPad did nothave this behaviour, so Sony please concider this for the next model revision.

Not everyone is using your fine tablet for light duties.

dnastase
Visitor

Did anybody try to see if charging via a Y usb cable from a PC works ?

Glynra
Visitor

Melissa T. You asked,

"I have tried charging my Z tablet by plugging in the  USB to my PC instead of the charger.  Nothing happens, except all the options to transfer info betwen the PC and tablet.

Is the tablet suppose to be able to charge with the USB plugged into a PC?"

Well I am new to the Xperia Z Tablet, two weeks experience only, but I have to add that the tablet does charge from USB. With the tablet up and running, wifi on and connected to my laptop it charges slowly. It does not show a charging symbol on the battery symbol in the notification bar but the charge level, battery percentage, slowly creeps up. I suspect that it does not indicate charging as the rate of charge is insufficient to trigger the indication.

Do hope this is of some value.

muhali65
Visitor

i have lose my sony xperia tablet z1 charger so i want knows about xperia tablet z1 charger melliamps.

means who much is the melliamps of xperia tablet z1 charger please reply me as soon as possible

muhammad ali

thanks