Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Duo 13 reinstall OS

JayKannan

Vaio Duo 13 reinstall OS

I want to reinsall the OS from the recovery partition on my Vaio Duo 13 as it's running Windows 8.1 now. but the recovery process both within Windows and from the BIOS menu claims that the installation files are missing and asks me to insert a disk. I tried inserting a Windows 8 installation USB but nothing happened.

How do I go about reinstalling it now?

Also, has Sony gotten anywhere with the Connected standby + Hyper V issue?

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
jamesme112
Explorer

If the recovery files are corrupted, you may be able to take it to a Sony service center so they can rebuild that partition (if it's still under warranty, it may be free, if not they may charge you). Did you ever make recovery media? If you can still boot into Windows, open the vaio care app and you can create recovery media (either a 32GB usb stick or 4 DVDs I think is required, pretty hefty) which you can use to boot from to reinstall the OS.

If you have the standard win8 install files, you'll need to create a bootable usb to be able to install from it, just copying the files over won't work. If you have a windows 8 install dvd, you could get an external dvd drive and install it from there. You may need to fiddle with bios settings to get it to boot from the dvd/usb.

i'm not too familiar with the Connected standby/hyper v issue so I can't report on that.

Good luck

JayKannan

It was working fine until I ran the recovery file updater from your Windows 8.1 drivers. which center can I take it to in London? I updated the backup after I ran your updater so even that is corrupt. it will be of great help if they can reset my recovery partition so that I can create a new one.

I saw somewhere else that the HyperV/Connected standby issue will not be solved, it makes the device useless to me for real development as I am a Windows Phone developer - it was very important to me. I’m not very satisfied with the support I have got for the device, its too little an far between.
profile.country.PL.title
Agnieszka_J

Hello JayKannan,

Sorry to hear you you have had this issue. In the first instance I would advise to contact Sony about this issue directly, to obtain instructions what to do next. You can phone or email them by filling in the form here: http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/vaio

Best wishes,

Agnieszka_J

aalipb
New

I had a very similar problem, but in my case I had upgraded factory windows 8 with Windows 8.1 Pro and the base factory reset was also failing (from VAIO Assist Button)

and the only way it was solved was a new fresh installation using UEFI install, you have to make a UEFI install USB bootable disk using rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/ 

I used the settings "GPT partition Scheme for BIOS and UEFI Computers" which let me create a windows 8.1 Pro disk and then boot via VAIO Assist to start a fresh new installation (I also changed the BIOS to boot from external media)

During the Installation I deleted all the existing partitions and there were notable double recorvery partitions occupying diskspace, I deleted all and did a fresh install (I have lost the factory partiions)

All Windows 8.1 drivers were available from www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVD1321M2E

Hope this helps

Kind Regards,