Join now - be part of our community!

Cable shutter release for Sony A7R III

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
penner

Cable shutter release for Sony A7R III

I've just bought an A7R III to replace my A6000.  I have a Neewer cable shutter release/intervalometer that worked well with the A6000, but although it fits the micro USB port in the AR III, I can't get it to fire the shutter.

I have looked for a menu setting that I should be changing to resolve this problem, but so far no luck - the menus in the A7R III are pretty daunting for a new user! 

Can anyone advise me on solving this problem please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
fandangowheels
Explorer

Hi I have the A7 III and same cable release, turn remote control option off in menu and try the 2/10 second delay option, at least this fires. I tried a lot of configuration and when I did get it to fire, out on shoot it fails to register, so after two attempts I bought the JJS IR remote for a few quid of amazon and it just works, instant release, bulb mode and 2 second time options, plus video record. (of course with IR turn the remote control).

It was a disapointment, look forward to the correct Sony/Neewer answer on that one

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
penner

Sorry - I mistyped "...USB port in the A7R III..." in line 2.

profile.country.GB.title
fandangowheels
Explorer

Hi I have the A7 III and same cable release, turn remote control option off in menu and try the 2/10 second delay option, at least this fires. I tried a lot of configuration and when I did get it to fire, out on shoot it fails to register, so after two attempts I bought the JJS IR remote for a few quid of amazon and it just works, instant release, bulb mode and 2 second time options, plus video record. (of course with IR turn the remote control).

It was a disapointment, look forward to the correct Sony/Neewer answer on that one

profile.country.GB.title
penner

Thanks for your reply, fandangowheels.  By coincidence I have just bought a cheap, simple cable release (no intervalometer) and I find that it works fine on the A7RIII.

Like you, I found that my Neewer intervalometer would work in 2/10 second delay mode.  I suspect this may be something to do with the way that this device is set up, so I shall have to find the instructions (somewhere!) and see what I can discover.

But meanwhile I have a functioning cable release for my A7RIII.

profile.country.GB.title
hendygwyn
Explorer

you don't mention the brand, but i would also like to know if it only fires a single frame or supports continuous shooting?    I have  a sony ir remote, but it will only fire a single frame and i shoot wildlife. so it's absolutely no use to me.