Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@rsyboye wrote:

...[snip]

What I can't make sense of is that there are either a signficant number of people that have received a set that operates with little/ no problem or just don't recognise shortcomings in what seems to be widely reported and accepted as inadequate fusion of Android TV and the Bravias.
...[snip]

I think a number of us just use the TV as a display for some other set-top box. I use a satellite box with 2 satellite tuners together with a terrestrial  tuner.  With HDD recording in the box I almost have all I need. The extra that Sony gives me is easy access to casting, both music and video, from my smartphone and the use of apps like Mobdro.

Sony, IMHO made their primary mistake when setting the CPU (Mediatek) and available RAM.... Cheapskates

On the plus side Sony have promised to update the OS to Marshmallow (Android 6) so I think there will be support beyond March 29. And don't forget a lot of updates can come, after Sony stop support, directly from Google updating its system apps itself. Just as happens on your smartphone now.

oodles2do

@angelacr

I hope you're right about the support for the devices, but my Sony Xperia only gets updates if Sony decide. My Xperia Z1 stopped getting anymore upgrades around 2 years after it launched, could be different for TV's as they release less per year. And I agree I think that it's unoptimised software coupled with poor hardware choices, it's only got 1.5GB of RAM... I know that a high end LG that's still LCD has 3GB RAM and an octa core processor. The LG I have gone for has a quad core processor, but I'm not sure about the RAM.

rsyboye
Explorer

@angelacr wrote:

I think a number of us just use the TV as a display for some other set-top box.

I know I should expect the Android TV implementation to work as advertised and be fit for purpose but if I have a 65" 4k panel that performs above the competition within this price bracket I'll be happy to use it like that no probs. 

What I'm unclear about is whether you using it as just a TV display is you being one of the lucky people or whether the HDMI switching/ random power on's / lockups....etc etc would still happen even when just using the panel as a display.

mark-bo

@rsyboye wrote:

What I'm unclear about is whether you using it as just a TV display is you being one of the lucky people or whether the HDMI switching/ random power on's / lockups....etc etc would still happen even when just using the panel as a display.

I used my 55X8509 mainly as a display for my HDD recorder.but I still suffered lypsync issues making the tv almost unwatchable. Also the randon turning itself on happened irrespective of whichever input you used. Straying into the smart features such as the catchup players inevitably caused the tv to crash.

Of course this was with not with the latest firmware as I returned the tv just before Christmas.

mark-bo

Sony, IMHO made their primary mistake when setting the CPU (Mediatek) and available RAM.... Cheapskates

Ironically, with the amount of TVs returrned plus the hundreds of pages of issues raised here putting people off plus the delay in providing advertised features Sony's cost cutting exercise may have cost them a lot of money. 

Titis_0000
Community Team

Hi everyone,

Please note this same firmware is to be released for the UK by the end of this month, at which point consumers having the Ireland version won't be able to update to the UK version anymore.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@oodles2do

If you look through your apps on your Xperia you should see google apps like 'Android System Web View'; 'Google App'; 'Google Now Launcher'  which continue to update witin the limits set by your OS. Google is trying hard to get around the reluctance of some manufacturers/Telcos to keep supposrting their phones.

@rsyboye

I guess I'm lucky that most of the problems I had seem to have gone and I get very little trouble. However, I'm only using a humble KDL-43W756.  No 3d or 4k to fall over. 

adyjay33

Hi all...

Just sent the CEO of Currys an email... we shall see what happens.

Currys want me to go through the Sony helpline process and troubleshoot my TV, I mean how many times can I factory reset it again?

If that does not work then a Sony Techician will visit and take it away for repair, thats not gonna happen.

Blooming Currys!

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
oodles2do

@adyjay33

Tell them you've already been through the Sony stuff and they're useless, and a factory reset isn't going to solve anything long term. Kinda what I said to John Lewis, got my exchange sorted with John Lewis, but ended up paying more than we thought for the difference because of price matches and deal on the soundbar that we got when we originally bought the Sonyf 😕

ronniebr
Explorer

Has there been any mention lately of when the Amazon Instant Video app is going to support 5.1 audio?

Before Christmas it used to be mentioned in the update schedule but I can't find any reference to it now (but I could be looking in the wrong place).

Does the latest European 3.317 firmware have 5.1 audio for Amazon?