Join now - be part of our community!

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

AdKeyz
Explorer

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

Hi,

The Video app on my Sony TV (KD55S8505C) always stretches the image to fullscreen and there seems to be no way of changing this.

Pressing the action menu reveals an option for either "Expand" or "Fit to screen" but neither of these options change anything.

Playing the video with any other app, VLC or MX Player for example, the video will play correctly, however this is not an acceptable solution as you cannot enable 3D Mode with these apps (which is just plain rediculous) so to watch a 3D file I am forced to use Sony's own Video app and suffer the stretching which makes everything look awful and out of proportion.

Is there any fix for this or is it a known issue that will be resolved in a softaware update?

Thanks,

Adam.

Tags (4)
72 REPLIES 72
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. On mine it works fine without any stretching... really strange.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

This is crazy. They had a fully working video app and now claim they're 'working hard' on a fix. This is nonsense. It just needs to revert to whatever was in the previous version. That wouldn't take longer than one day. It's more that no one at Sony can be bothered to put aside the minimal time needed to fix it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

From my understanding on the 'stretched' aspect ratio when streaming via DLNA to the Video app is that even though the software versions are the same, it appears that this problem is isolated to 4K TV models.  This was determined by some testing by German customers and documented on the German forums.  Info has been forwarded on to the technical team.

However, when using different apps like Plex or VLC, aspect ratio if fine

Cheers

mrxcelsius
Explorer

It's not just the KD55s85... but my new KD49X8305 has EXACTLY the same problem. Sony support claim they have never heard of the problem :slight_smile: and yet here I am on the net looking at a Sony forum where MANY MANY people have the same problem.

It's VERY poor service as my £700 is only 4 days old... For Sony to claim they know NOTHING about this problem and then I find it using Google is a little poor on their part. Still i'm now waiting for someone to call me back... ROFLMAO if any of the comments on this forum are anything to go by.

VLC works for me but seems very laggy even though my WiFi router is not 4 ft' from my TV and that's connected to a gigabit network direct to the NAS... hey-ho... should have got an LG...

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

The issue is known to them. It's on the list of reported issues on this
site. Which has this thread as the point of reference. You can use the kodi
app to play files correctly until this gets sorted.
doomer87

Hello Quinnicus,

sorry for the delay, I post now the results of my tests:

The video files are located on a USB hard disk drive connected to a Raspberry PI. The Raspberry PI is connected to the KD-49X8303C TV set by means of a point-to-point wired LAN. The Raspberry hosts a SMB and a FTP server which are accessed by the TV through ES File Explorer app. From here the video files are opened by the Video app.

- 720x576 sample: incorrectly displayed (squares are "fat"), "expand" and "fit" menus are available but are useless

- 1920x800 sample: incorrectly displayed (squares are "thin"), "expand" and "fit" menus are available but are useless

- 1920x1080 sample: correctly displayed, "expand" and "fit" are not available

There is no difference accessing the files by SMB protocol or by FTP protocol. Also putting the files on a USB key inserted directly into the TV doesn't make any difference.

BR

F-r-e-d
Explorer

I have found a workaround for this on my KD-43X8309C.

Press ACTION MENU

In the third column select INFORMATION

As my tv does not have an internet connection it asks for agreement. I press CANCEL.

Then I get a screen with the picture in a window.

Select the picture.

Now the movie is displayed in it's original format.

Good luck!

Fred.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have tested this workaround on my KD-55XD8577 and it doesnt work for me.  Basically whilst playing back video content via dlna, i do NOT get the 'information' option in the video section of the action menu.  I get Settings and sometimes Expand, but no information option.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

@Anonymous, the above workaround is pretty much the same one I posted, but it only works when playing via USB not DLNA. Weirdly I've watched 2 or 3 films recently that didn't require the workaround. That puzzles me more if I'm honest!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TWLeebo ahh yes, i do remember now, just went back a page to re-read thread.  Memory of a goldfish i have.  Will test via USB as you suggest :wink: